Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy tickets
03 October 2017 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League Trophy

Advertisement block

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: UNITED 0 - 1 Leicester City U21

Report from the Checkatrade Trophy group game

3 October 2017

United's second Checkatrade Trophy group game was a home fixture against Leicester City U21s at Brunton Park on Tuesday night.

And it was a shock result on a disappointing evening in Cumbria as the Leicester youngsters scored early and held on to their lead to take the points back to the Midlands.

Leicester started brightly and they were awarded a free kick when Eppiah was upended just outside the box. Ndukwu went for goal but his 24-yard effort smashed into the side netting.

The visitors created another opening when Gordon picked up a loose ball in midfield. He spread it to Ndukwu, who went on a charge into the box, and he had the target in his sights until he blazed a wild shot over the bar.

The lively Ndukwu was proving to be a bit of a problem and he cut inside again when Choudhury found him with a raking crossfield pass. He wound his way across the back line and wasn't too far away with a low grasscutter which shaved the outside of the post.

It was a good start from the away side and Ndukwu sent another long range thunderbolt into the Warwick when he chose to shoot when he had better options both left and right.

United won a corner when they capitalised on a mix-up in the Foxes' defence and a deep delivery from Grainger was hooked back into the six-yard box by Miller. A grateful defender spun on the spot and sliced it to safety.

A quick break followed and Eppiah found himself with just George to beat as he bullied his way into the box. The keeper spread himself and made a vital save as he went down at the striker's feet.

The visiting under-21 side deservedly took the lead on 20 minutes when Muskwe robbed Jones of possession just outside the box. He used Gordon, who then rolled a slow pass across the face of goal. Ndukwu arrived late and made no mistake as he rattled a crisp shot into the back of the net.

United almost got back into it on the half hour when Devitt found space on the left flank. He waited for Bennett to arrive and the big striker took a touch before sending a firm shot straight at Bramley. 

The Cumbrians won a corner with their next attack when Bennett floated the ball to the back post. The delivery was low and easily cleared. The Blues stayed forward and Parkes was on the end of a Devitt delivery just ten yards out. His header had the keeper beaten but he was disappointed to see it come back off the base of the woodwork.

Midfielder Mike Jones was next to try his luck when a long throw from Miller deflected into his path. He showed good technique to catch it on the volley but it whipped just past the target with Bramley again well beaten.

The half ended with two excellent crossed from Grainger but both were cleared as Leicester took their lead into the break.

Bramley had to punch as a Devitt free kick swung in at him at the start of the second period and Jones scuffed a 19-yard shot wide when Grainger produced an excellent cross from a deep and long punt from Shamal George.

Carlisle had to defend at the other end when Gordon and Eppiah offloaded snapshots, and Muskwe pulled a shot wide from the angle of the box as he capitalised on hesitation between Bennett and Nabi.

A well-worked free kick brought a save from Bramley as Grainger curled a shot round the wall, as the hosts started to assert some authority, and the left back picked a beauty of a cross to the far post during the second phase of the attack. Nabi couldn't get enough on the header and it dropped harmlessly behind.

Bramley produced an instinctive save when his box came under pressure from a series of deliveries. The ball broke loose for Cosgrove to strike but the keeper was there to beat it away with both hands as it came through a ruck of bodies.

Substitute Shaun Miller popped a low shot from the edge of the area at Bramley seconds after coming on, and a moment of excellence from Grainger deserved a goal as he volleyed a cross just past the post from the touchline, once again showing fantastic poise and technique.

Chances were hard to come by for both teams as the contest moved into midfield and Leshabela summed jup the frustration when he tried a speculative effort from well outside the box.

Lambe smashed a volley past the angle of post and bar as Carlisle tried to build up a late head of steam, and Bramley saved acrobatically from Lambe in time added on when it looked to all intents and purposes as if the wide man had pegged the scores back. Bennett raced in for a tap-in but his touch took the ball past the post.



Leicester City U21 - Ndukwu (20)



Carlisle United - George, Liddle, T Miller, Parkes, Lambe, Devitt, Jones (Adams 76), Nabi (Joyce 65), Grainger, Bennett, Cosgrove (S Miller 64). Subs - Bonham, Hope, Brown, Etuhu.

Leicester City U21 - Bramley, Knight, Gordon, Muskwe (Shade 90), Ndukwu (Leshabela 68), Choudhury, Hughes, Wood, Eppiah (Ughelumba 72), Kaba Sherif, Dewsbury-Hall. Subs - Yates, Martis, Rubio, Heaven.


Referee - Ben Toner

Attendance - 1,009 (28 away fans)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account